May 27, 2013

Honoring Husbands, Fathers, Friends


My daughter's blog today reminds me not to take this holiday for granted. I'm proud to share her thoughts with you here.

Memorial Day  2013
by Leticia Pfeiffer, Styled and Organized Living

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. Officially proclaimed by General Logon on 5 May 1868, “Memorial Day is not about division. It is about reconciliation; it is about coming together to honor those who gave their all.” 

There’s a history of military service in my family going back to the Civil War.  My dad along with
Lt George Pfeiffer, my day
My dad, Vietnam
Walter LeKiites, Dad's HS buddy
Dubby, Vietnam

his childhood friend, Walter LeKites III, aka Dubby, served in Viet Nam.  My Grandfather served in WWII.  I have childhood friends who served in Desert Storm & during a time of peace.  Friend’s dads served as well.  All in different branches.  They all came home.

My senior year in high school, my close friend lost her brother, Charlie, in an Army helicopter tragedy after he & his buddy got everyone off.  Another close friend lost her cousin, Matt, in Iraq while on a mission to rescue others.  Both heroes.  Both greatly missed.  There are too many more nameless to me but family to others who gave their lives.  To all I am grateful.

You too can probably start to make a list of those you know who have served your country...our country.  Take time today to respectfully honor their service.  The "National Moment of Remembrance" asks that at 3 p.m. your local time you voluntarily & informally observe in your own way a moment of remembrance & respect, pausing from whatever you are doing for a moment of silence or listening to 'Taps."

It’s the least we can do to remember those who gave.
Sgt Fowler Ennis, WW II Army
Sgt Fowler Ennis, WW II Army



A Note: Let me add another picture that my daughter did not have, her grandfather. Though the 1944 photo is blurry, this veteran at 92 is still hale and hearty. We thank him for his service.

No comments: